Under the Points-Based System (PBS) the Tier 1 visa category has been designed for highly valued individuals.
Highly valued migrants are required to pass a points-based assessment, but they do not need a job offer.
A new ‘genuineness test’ has been introduced. There are currently four immigration categories for highly skilled workers, which are:
Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) category
- The Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) route has been introduced for individuals of exceptional talent and covers migrants who have won international recognition in scientific and cultural fields, or who demonstrate sufficient exceptional promise to be awarded such recognition in the future.
- These individuals are leaders in their respective fields and internationally recognised at the highest level.
- The Applicants must first apply to be endorsed by the UKVI for a Designated Competent Body’s endorsement.
- The ‘exceptional talent’ category is subject to a limit of 1,000 places.
Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) category
- The individuals, who are actively involved in the running of one or more businesses in the United Kingdom, can apply for the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa. This category is for those investing in the United Kingdom by setting up or taking over or being involved in a business.
- A prospective entrepreneur visit visa is also available.
- An entrepreneurial team, for example two applicants can apply together relying on the same funds and business activity.
- The applicants under this category cannot take any employment other than working for the business or businesses that they have established, joined or taken over.
- At the time of seeking extension, the applicant must also be able to show that they have established a new business or businesses that has/have created the equivalent of at least two new full-time jobs for persons settled in the United Kingdom. Alternatively, s/he must demonstrate that s/he has taken over or invested in an existing business or businesses and his services or investment have resulted in a net increase in the employment provided by the business or businesses for persons settled in the UK by creating the equivalent of at least two new full time jobs for persons settled in the UK.
Tier 1 (Investor) category
- The Tier 1 (Investor) visa category has been introduced for the high-net-worth individuals who want to make a substantial financial investment in the UK of £2,000,000 or more.
- This amount of money must be under the applicant’s control, disposable and in a regulated financial institution.
- The investor must show that s/he is able to make an investment of £2,000,000 or more in the United Kingdom. This money can be held overseas at the time of the application, or it can already be in the United Kingdom. The invested money must be converted into pounds sterling.
- An applicant can rely on money that they own jointly with their spouses, husband, wife, and civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner (known as partner). They may also rely on money that is owned solely by their partner. In this case, they must have unrestricted right to transfer and dispose of the money held jointly and solely by their partner and have permission from their partner to have control of this money in the United Kingdom.
Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) category
- The Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) route is for those UK graduates who have been identified by Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) as having developed world class innovative ideas or entrepreneurial skills and have been endorsed by them. Applicants will be able to extend their stay in the UK after graduation to develop their business.
The UKVI will allocate 2,000 places and distribute these equally among all applying HEIs. The HEI must be an A rated and a Highly Trusted Sponsor.