The Tier 2 route is introduced for the employers to recruit skilled workers from outside of the UK and EEA.
The employers can recruit the workers from outside the UK under the following categories:
Tier 2 (General)
- The employers under this category can recruit skilled workers from outside of the EEA to fill a particular vacancy that cannot be filled by a British or EEA worker.
- This will require the ‘Resident Labour Market Test’, which applies to most (but not all) applications or the worker must fill a position on the ‘shortage occupation list’.
- The vacancy must be for an occupation skilled to National Qualification Framework (NQF) Level 6 and the worker must be paid an appropriate salary.
- The applicants must also show that they are ‘genuine’.
Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer)
- This route is for employees of multinational firms to transfer existing employees from outside of the EEA to their UK branch for training purposes or to fill a specific vacancy that cannot be filled by a British or EEA worker. There are four sub-categories under this route, namely Long-term Staff, Short-term Staff, Graduate Trainee and Skills Transfer. As of 6 November 2014 applicants must also show that they are ‘genuine’.
Tier 2 (Sportsperson)
- This route is for sportspersons who are internationally established at the highest level and will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport in the United Kingdom. The applicant must be endorsed by a governing body for his or her sport.
Tier 2 (Ministers of Religion)
- This route allows ministers of religion who wish to undertake pastoral and preaching work, missionaries or members of religious orders to come to the UK. Those applying must be qualified for the job and intend to base themselves in the UK. As of 1st October 2013 applicants must also show that they are ‘genuine’.